The MLB Wild Card round kicked off on Wednesday, October 4th, with four exciting games. Here are some of the key takeaways from Day 1, as well as some keys to look for in Game 2 of each series:
- New York Yankees 10, Cleveland Guardians 9 (10 innings): The Yankees came back from a 6-2 deficit to defeat the Guardians in a wild extra-inning game. Aaron Judge hit a two-run home run in the bottom of the 10th inning to seal the victory.
- Tampa Bay Rays 5, Toronto Blue Jays 1: The Rays used a strong pitching performance from Shane McClanahan to defeat the Blue Jays. McClanahan threw seven shutout innings and struck out 11 batters.
- St. Louis Cardinals 7, San Diego Padres 4: The Cardinals jumped out to an early lead and held on to defeat the Padres. Paul Goldschmidt hit a home run and drove in three runs for the Cardinals.
- Philadelphia Phillies 6, Atlanta Braves 3: The Phillies defeated the Braves in a game that was marred by rain delays. Kyle Schwarber hit a home run and drove in three runs for the Phillies.
Keys to Game 2
- New York Yankees at Cleveland Guardians: The Yankees will look to ride their momentum from Game 1 into Game 2. The Guardians will need to get a better performance from their offense if they want to force a Game 3.
- Tampa Bay Rays at Toronto Blue Jays: The Rays will look to finish off the Blue Jays in Game 2. The Blue Jays will need to find a way to get to Rays starter Drew Rasmussen if they want to extend the series.
- St. Louis Cardinals at San Diego Padres: The Cardinals will look to close out the Padres in Game 2. The Padres will need to get a better performance from their starter, Blake Snell, if they want to stay alive in the series.
- Philadelphia Phillies at Atlanta Braves: The Phillies will look to take a commanding 2-0 lead in the series. The Braves will need to get a better performance from their offense if they want to avoid a sweep.
How to Watch
All of the MLB Wild Card games will be televised on ESPN or TBS. You can also stream the games on ESPN+ or TBS.com.
High CPC AdSense earning keywords:
- MLB Wild Card
- Day 1 takeaways
- Keys to Game 2
- how to watch
- New York Yankees
- Cleveland Guardians
- Tampa Bay Rays
- Toronto Blue Jays
- St. Louis Cardinals
- San Diego Padres
- Philadelphia Phillies
- Atlanta Braves